Net4u - Stealing bandwidth etc.
Simon Lyall
2003-03-24 20:35:27 UTC
Looks like the herald is breaking all the interesting stories lately:

http://tinyurl.com/82j8

I can understand Callplus having problems since they have been struggling
with inexperienced staff for a few months (although 6 months is before the
most recent resignations) but I'm not sure how the Jetstream/Jetstart
thing would have worked. I've yet to see Telecom lose money when people
get Jetstream relms confused.
--
Simon Lyall. | Newsmaster | Work: ***@ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin | Postmaster | Home: ***@darkmere.gen.nz
Ihug Ltd, Auckland, NZ | Asst Doorman | Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz
Matthew G Brown
2003-03-24 21:12:14 UTC
Gave me a good giggle for the start of my day , Thanks Simon ,

Im also curious how the jetstream issue worked. I cant see how telecom
could ever loose money from Jetstream :) , Does anyone know how this
worked ?

Best Regards

Matthew G Brown
Chief Executive
B & R Holdings LIMITED
Information Technology Holdings Company
http://www.brh.co.nz

http://www.darkmere.gen.nz
Juha Saarinen
2003-03-24 21:22:58 UTC
Post by Simon Lyall
http://tinyurl.com/82j8
I can understand Callplus having problems since they have been
struggling with inexperienced staff for a few months (although 6
months is before the most recent resignations) but I'm not sure how
the Jetstream/Jetstart thing would have worked. I've yet to see
Telecom lose money when people get Jetstream relms confused.
So is Callplus/Attica IP space somewhat blacklisted now?

Surely they'd have had complaints about the open proxy?
Juha
Craig Spiers
2003-03-24 21:30:45 UTC
yea, you can imagine how many spammers would have found that proxy, and used
it.. surely someone at attica/callplus got notification that it was open..

Spammers find open proxy's in a matter of hours these days.. perhaps staff
recieved the notifications, but didnt give a dam?

Juha Saarinen
2003-03-24 21:39:14 UTC
Post by Craig Spiers
Spammers find open proxy's in a matter of hours these days.. perhaps
staff recieved the notifications, but didnt give a dam?
Dunno. It seems most admins are aware of email relaying, but not open
proxies still. Last year, a spammer carpet-bombed IDG accounts through an
open proxy in Australia, and I had tough time convincing the people
responsible that their machine was open to abuse, because they clung onto
the idea that their "email server didn't allow relaying"...

That proxy stayed open for almost three months, IIRC.

Juha
Richard Haakma
2003-03-24 21:54:51 UTC
Post by Juha Saarinen
Post by Simon Lyall
http://tinyurl.com/82j8
I can understand Callplus having problems since they have been
struggling with inexperienced staff for a few months (although 6
months is before the most recent resignations) but I'm not sure how
the Jetstream/Jetstart thing would have worked. I've yet to see
Telecom lose money when people get Jetstream relms confused.
So is Callplus/Attica IP space somewhat blacklisted now?
Surely they'd have had complaints about the open proxy?
Hello.

It may have been an open web proxy only, not capable of abusing
SMTP or IRC.

Regards,
RH.
Matthew Poole
2003-03-24 21:39:51 UTC
Post by Craig Spiers
yea, you can imagine how many spammers would have found that proxy, and used
it.. surely someone at attica/callplus got notification that it was open..
Not while I was there. I've been gone three-and-a-half months now,
so it's quite possible they got told since then.
Post by Craig Spiers
Spammers find open proxy's in a matter of hours these days.. perhaps staff
recieved the notifications, but didnt give a dam?
Or they weren't able to figure out what the warning meant and ignored
it?
An open proxy would definitely have been brought to my attention as
all security issues came across my desk, and I never saw any such
notification.

Not to mention that someone would've bitched if we'd been
blacklisted and while that did happen it was by a couple of companies
as a serious over-reaction to dodgy activity by customers.
--
Matthew Poole
Auckland, NZ

http://www.p00le.net

"Three pills a day keeps the voices at bay"
Matthew Poole
rye a
2003-03-24 21:52:30 UTC
Its still very shocking that ISP's in new zealand
would do this to each other.. I understand its a very
tight market.. but still.. Are other isp's doing
similar things? ha, i doubt anyone would admit it..
but i'd assume so..

Lets have a nationwide net4u boycot!

http://platinum.yahoo.com
rye a
2003-03-24 22:05:59 UTC
a staff member from net4u was bragging on irc the
other day about the jetstream bandwidth issue. what
they are doing is authenticating jetstream starter
users (fastip) as jetstream users (fastipdirect). I
think this is most likely a screwup on telecom/net4u's
behalf.. perhaps their account manager set it up this
way for a reason? perhaps net4u ask for jetstream
ports instead of jetstream starter?

either way guys, word of advice.. if your ripping
people off.. dont go bragging about it on irc. I
believe the staff member in question was only 14 years
old. What possible use could he have been? He was also
in the news recently, related to the captain bob spam
fiasco..

cheers

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Juha Saarinen
2003-03-24 22:08:14 UTC
Post by rye a
either way guys, word of advice.. if your ripping
people off.. dont go bragging about it on irc. I
believe the staff member in question was only 14 years
old. What possible use could he have been? He was also
in the news recently, related to the captain bob spam
fiasco..
So Captain Bob was/is a Net4U customer?
Juha
David Clarke
2003-03-24 22:08:43 UTC
Post by Richard Haakma
It may have been an open web proxy only, not capable of
abusing SMTP or IRC.
Quote from the Herald article:

"He goes on to say that Net4U services, including his dial-up and server
co-location customers, his "home link" and his "KaZaA" ... were all operated
with stolen bandwidth for a "six-month" period."

That reference to KaZaA would intimate that it wasn't merely web. Of course
we possibly shouldn't believe the word of someone who'd stoop to stealing
bandwidth.

--
David Clarke
Tech

#include <disclaimer.h>
rye a
http://platinum.yahoo.com
Simon Lyall
2003-03-24 22:15:28 UTC
Forwarded to me by a nice person, apparantly it's been in circulation for
a week or so.

http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/temp/misc.mp3
Matthew G Brown
2003-03-24 22:21:23 UTC
There are some quite smart people in that age group, Unfortunately they
often are a little miss guided , with the right guidance they can become
a very good company asset. I worked for an ISP when I was still in
school ( Planet Group ) and had a great mentor, I did some pretty stupid
things and abused a lot of resources but I have to thank the boss who
looked after me and taught me a lot about systems and how to do things
the right way, Not to mention a crash course on Solaris.
rye a [mailto:]
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
My 2c :)

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Mark Foster
2003-03-24 22:29:15 UTC
The other minor point would be that even if the proxy only listened on 'web
proxy' ports if the destination port was permitted to be anything else,
youre wide open for SMTP abuse to start with..

But we should all know this :)

64.231.72.5 - - [23/Mar/2003:20:56:28 +1200] "CONNECT
maila.microsoft.com:25 / HTTP/1.0" 400 375
218.16.252.172 - - [23/Mar/2003:23:26:10 +1200] "CONNECT 207.46.181.13:25
HTTP/1.1" 405 319

Theres certainly a fairly aggressive online search for open
webservers/proxies...
rye a
2003-03-24 22:33:26 UTC
Ha, i wish i did. I regret not keeping one now, had i
known this all would have led to a herald artical, and
a post to nznog, i would have made sure i logged it.
Didnt think too much of it at the time figured they
were just idiots bragging about bullshit..

The only problem, there's no course of justice for
this kind of thing is there? net4u will get away scott
free?
Post by rye a
either way guys, word of advice.. if your ripping
people off.. dont go bragging about it on irc. I
do you have a log you can post to nznog? sounds
very interesting (and on
topic).
http://platinum.yahoo.com
Richard Stevenson
2003-03-24 23:30:14 UTC
Post by rye a
The only problem, there's no course of justice for
this kind of thing is there? net4u will get away scott
free?
Net4u may or may not get away with it, depending on how the case is
approached. The people directly involved may end up being adjudged
bankrupt, and I imagine anyone with Net4u on their CV will have a very
hard time getting a job in the industry, given the people on this list.
Even if they start up their own business again, they'd have difficulty
finding anyone who will deal with them IMHO.

Ashamed to live in the same town as these clowns.. anyone got a baseball
bat I can borrow? I broke the kids' one on the last twit who annoyed me
;)

Regards

Richard
Making an HONEST living since forever
topic).
David Clarke
2003-03-24 22:41:39 UTC
Post by rye a
The only problem, there's no course of justice for
this kind of thing is there? net4u will get away scott
free?
No idea about the legal aspect, but having the collective wrath of NZNOG
fall on one cannot be a pleasant experience. I suspect it's only a matter
of time until they get null routed, blacklisted etc, if indeed they haven't
been already. Somehow I doubt the operators commununity will just let this
slide.

--
David Clarke
Tech

#include <disclaimer.h>
Colin Palmer
2003-03-24 23:01:09 UTC
Post by David Clarke
"He goes on to say that Net4U services, including his dial-up and server
co-location customers, his "home link" and his "KaZaA" ... were all operated
with stolen bandwidth for a "six-month" period."
...and all without any of those servers even noticing they were behind a
proxy. Amazing! :)
Post by David Clarke
That reference to KaZaA would intimate that it wasn't merely web. Of course
we possibly shouldn't believe the word of someone who'd stoop to stealing
bandwidth.
Or newspapers that quote what 14 year olds have been saying on IRC,
perhaps?
** Colin Palmer, Systems and Development Group, University of Waikato, NZ **
Liz Quilty
2003-03-24 23:23:03 UTC
I worked for Sahil when he first started out.
I left within 6 months because he didnt know anything about what the
hell he was doing and kept fucking things up majorly. He was 15 at the
time.
I know of several other 'employees' whom did work and also did not get
paid. His servers were rediculasly insecure and badley configured most
of the time and he often made friends of other ISP's and tried getting
customer databases.
He would intentionally poach Users.

Good that it has cought up with him ;]

Liz
Don Stokes
2003-03-24 23:26:14 UTC
Post by rye a
The only problem, there's no course of justice for
this kind of thing is there? net4u will get away scott
free?
There is, actually. The magic words are "credit by fraud". The tricky
part is in demonstrating that the perpetrator made a pecuniary gain at
the expense of the victim.

I went around this loop in '94-95 or thereabouts at Vic Uni, when a
couple of little toads got into a a couple of boxes using dictionary
attacks on non-shadowed (mutter mutter Ultrix mutter IRIX mutter mutter)
password files, (which in turn allowed dial-up access into the Vic
network) and proceeded to use the available accounts to download
piles of pirate software.

Getting a conviction involves solving two puzzles: demonstrating that the
offending activity happened and who did it, and demonstrating that the
activity caused loss.

In this case, demonstrating that it happened was done through logging
and phone traces. You must be able to pin the activity to a person or
organisation.

Loss was demonstrated by providing logs of download traffic volumes, and
relating those with NZGate volume charges. It's going to be more
difficult to demonstrate specific loss in a bandwidth charged
environment -- it's not merely sufficient to demonstrate that bandwidth
was used, but that it actually cost more money than it would have had
the theft not taken place.

The really hard part about all this is putting it into really small
words so that police, lawyers, judges etc who don't deal with this stuff
from day to day can understand. Diagrams help.

-- don
Juha Saarinen
2003-03-24 23:30:46 UTC
Post by Don Stokes
The really hard part about all this is putting it into really small
words so that police, lawyers, judges etc who don't deal with this
stuff from day to day can understand. Diagrams help.
Powerpoint presentations. You can't make any technical case without those.
Juha
James Tyson
2003-03-24 23:43:51 UTC
Post by Juha Saarinen
Post by Don Stokes
The really hard part about all this is putting it into really small
words so that police, lawyers, judges etc who don't deal with this
stuff from day to day can understand. Diagrams help.
Powerpoint presentations. You can't make any technical case without those.
Keynote. Powerpoint is no last millenium.
James Tyson <***@samizdat.co.nz>
2003-03-24 23:44:17 UTC
www.quarrypark.org.nz
www.wlug.org.nz
www.msianet.co.nz
www.hotshot.co.nz
www.ethernal.org
www.neuron.net.nz
www.cis.net.nz
netplanet.co.nz
www.irisdesign.co.nz
king.net.nz
cosnet.co.nz
walkerwireless.co.nz
hostingservers.co.nz
castle.net.nz
nox.co.nz
scarfies.co.nz
se7en.co.nz
digitalsouth.net
outervoid.net
clawshrimp.com

Mike Beattie
2003-03-25 00:15:49 UTC
On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:44:17AM +1200, a wrote:
Post by a
www.ethernal.org
Not the way I wanted to post to NZNOG for the first time, but what exactly
are you trying to say with that list?

Mike.
--
Mike Beattie <***@ethernal.org> ZL4TXK, IRLP Node 6184

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.
Edward Yardley
2003-03-25 04:16:44 UTC

Edward.
Michael Bordignon
2003-03-24 23:48:36 UTC
any proxy is capable of proxying SMTP/IRC/anything via HTTP CONNECT, isn't
it?
RH.
Mark Foster
2003-03-25 01:56:05 UTC
Rye A,

How are you related to this issue?
Did it cost you something?
Whats your relationship with Net4U?
Post by rye a
To bring those responsible to justice, we are holding
a 'meeting'.
Bring your weapons.
Room 3, Level 1
467 Victoria Street
Hamilton CBD
Hamilton
New Zealand
Time: 4:30pm
Be there, or miss out.
rye a
2003-03-25 01:43:46 UTC
To bring those responsible to justice, we are holding
a 'meeting'.

Bring your weapons.

Venue:
Room 3, Level 1
467 Victoria Street
Hamilton CBD
Hamilton
New Zealand

Time: 4:30pm

Be there, or miss out.

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Matthew Poole
2003-03-25 01:57:00 UTC
Maybe Juha will go, to represent the media.
Post by David Robb
Take a digital video camera please. :)

Matthew Poole
Matthew Poole
2003-03-25 01:59:26 UTC
Mark,
since when did people need an excuse to deal out vigilante justice?

And, in any case, I think that Net4U's actions are more than sufficient
justification for a beating.

Matthew Poole
David Robb

Be there, or miss out.
Liz Quilty
2003-03-25 02:02:41 UTC
Ill second that.
Would love to be there but cant so camera feed would be nifty ;]

Liz

ps excuse spelling errors and swearing in previous email (must be that
time of month)
Juha Saarinen
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Matthew Poole
Maybe Juha will go, to represent the media.
Well, I'd be very interested in going, but I'm booked up for this arvo
unfortunately.

A Webcam to capture the tarring and feathering would be neat though. :-)
Juha Saarinen
p***@msn.com
2003-03-25 02:01:54 UTC
Hi

I quit NET4U after hearing news of this stealing bandwidth, recorded a phone
call with Sahil, took the call to the herald.

Which is why it was printed at all, so dont go bitching about me being
involved in this.
I wasn't in anyway involved in it.
Quite frankly I think Sahil is ripping everyone off, including his staff.
thanks,
Will

Robert McDonald (by way of Robert McDonald )
2003-03-25 04:23:40 UTC
Post by rye a
a staff member from net4u was bragging on irc the
other day about the jetstream bandwidth issue. what
they are doing is authenticating jetstream starter
users (fastip) as jetstream users (fastipdirect). I
think this is most likely a screwup on telecom/net4u's
behalf.. perhaps their account manager set it up this
way for a reason? perhaps net4u ask for jetstream
ports instead of jetstream starter?
either way guys, word of advice.. if your ripping
people off.. dont go bragging about it on irc. I
believe the staff member in question was only 14 years
old. What possible use could he have been? He was also
in the news recently, related to the captain bob spam
fiasco..
Seems either the herald is reporting on a lot more geeky stuff. Or People are
just becomeing stupid / dishonest. Im mean that seriously. If i was in the
position to be working at an ISP (even if it *was* net4u, which i dont have a
very high opinion of right now) I wouldn't do anything to put that at risk. I
doubt the people responsible for that will be employed in (big) IT again.
Sahil is only a year older than me. Really i think that gives young geeks a
bad name.

And how this got turned into talk of ^god and co. and their spamming antics
is beyond me. It has on relevence at all to nznog, take it to #lusers or
something.

But it did give me a good laugh. :)

Cheers,
Rob