Hurricane Electric joining APE
Todd Dickason
2018-10-18 04:31:02 UTC
Hello APE peers (and NZNOG),

A heads up from CityLink Peering (http://nzix.net)

Hurricane Electric (AS6939) are in the process of connecting to the Auckland Peering Exchange (APE) and you can expect to see an increase in the number of prefixes once they're connected.

We'll send another post to NZNOG when we've a confirmed turn-up date. We're going to follow the sensible lead of ix.nz here (credit where it's due Joe) and only open the filters for Hurricane Electric up on one of our route servers (rs2.ape.nzix.net) initially. We'll open up rs1.ape.nzix.net when we see all peers functioning normally on rs2.ape.nzix.net.

Hurricane Electric have advised us that they will advertise approximately 28,000 IPv6 routes and up to 57,000 IPv4 routes initially. Additionally they've suggested prefix limit adjustments to cater for increases from them of 65k IPv6 and 175k IPv4 routes.

FYI: our details
AS9560
rs1.ape.nzix.net, 192.203.154.1, 2001:7fa:4:c0cb::9a01
rs2.ape.nzix.net, 192.203.154.2, 2001:7fa:4:c0cb::9a02

Any queries for our customers who are on-list please email us at ***@citylink.co.nz<mailto:***@citylink.co.nz>.

Cheers
Todd
CityLink/TeamTalk Ops
Walt
2018-10-19 23:00:48 UTC
We are very close

When we do go live we value bilateral sessions more than over the route servers

Please email ***@he.net to get a bilateral session

Thanks

Walt

CityLink/TeamTalk Ops
Sid Jones
2018-10-24 02:26:46 UTC
FYI: We will be standing up the first session tomorrow from 10am

rs2.ape.nzix.net
192.203.154.2
2001:7fa:4:c0cb::9a02

CityLink/TeamTalk Ops
Job Snijders
2018-10-24 09:57:48 UTC
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 02:26:46AM +0000, Sid Jones wrote:
> FYI: We will be standing up the first session tomorrow from 10am
>
> rs2.ape.nzix.net
> 192.203.154.2
> 2001:7fa:4:c0cb::9a02

I was reviewing http://www.nzix.net/getstarted.html - is there any
specific reason these route servers are basic unfiltered?

Kind regards,

Job
Job Snijders
2018-10-24 10:33:52 UTC
Dear Nathan,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 11:18:34PM +1300, Nathan Ward wrote:
> > On 24/10/2018, at 10:57 PM, Job Snijders <***@ntt.net> wrote:
> >
> > I was reviewing http://www.nzix.net/getstarted.html - is there any
> > specific reason these route servers are basic unfiltered?
>
> While this isn’t an answer, there’s some history. I imagine others
> from Citylink themselves will have info on the current state.
>
> They used to be filtered, the config was generated by a script and the
> process (quagga or zebra or what not) restarted. Meant that BGP
> sessions flapped whenever there was a policy update, rather than some
> sort of soft reload. People didn’t like that very much.

Agreed - needing to flap sessions to load a freshly generated
configuration is not a great way to do things.

> I recall someone was looking at soft reloads, but I don’t know if that
> got implemented. I imagine current state (i.e. bogons and a prefix
> limit) is where that got too.

Thanks for the background - at this point (2018) I'd strongly recommend
any IXP to not use zebra & quagga, but instead use BIRD and OpenBGPD.
Both have the capability to do seamless policy configuration reloads.

There are excellent free tools that can help generate feature rich &
secure configurations:

http://arouteserver.readthedocs.io/
https://www.ixpmanager.org/

Kind regards,