Survey
Richard Nelson
2018-02-08 22:58:57 UTC
Thankyou to everybody who responded to the NZNOG survey, the results are
in and are very useful to us.

Geoff Huston was considered a top three speaker most often followed by
Francesco Alberti of Eolo.  Hamid Maani of Hawaiki and Kraig Winters
representing the Red Cross were third equal with a large group just
behind them.   More importantly almost all the speakers were considered
interesting by someone attending the conference so we are pleased with
the programme reception.

Respondents liked Queenstown but didn't like the venue.  They wanted
desks in the conference and aircon in the rooms.

The most popular destination choices for next years conference were
Napier, Wellington and New Plymouth.  This fairly closely corresponds
with the trustees' thinking so we will check them out for venues and
accommodation with air conditioned rooms.   It will, however, be
difficult to top jet boating as a social activity.

Just over 90% of people are open to us changing the conference dates.
We will investigate this.  There were almost no other conferences
identified to avoid clashes with but public holidays are clearly
sancrosanct.  There was also a suggestion that we avoid school holdiays
which we currently don't do.

People are happy for us to make the conference a bit bigger to make sure
people don't miss out.

There were also a lot of individual comments and suggestions that we
will try to take on board.

Richard Nelson
Joel Wirāmu Pauling
2018-02-08 23:35:13 UTC
Please try and avoid linuxconf.au; I know there are a dozen or so peeps
that I talked with there that would have been at NZNOG (including myself)
had it not clashed.

Next year it is in Christchurch.

-Joel

Richard Nelson
2018-02-08 23:59:34 UTC
LCA is probably the largest reason (but not the only one) that we are
considering changing dates to avoid clashes.

Richard.
Post by Joel Wirāmu Pauling
Please try and avoid linuxconf.au; I know there are a dozen or so
peeps that I talked with there that would have been at NZNOG
(including myself) had it not clashed.
Seconded.  I would have been at NZNOG if it hadn't been that
Linux.Conf.Au (Sydney) and NZNOG happened to be the same week (FTR,
only the second time that has happened ever, and not coincidentally
only the second NZNOG I've missed....; they've often been adjacent
weeks though).
Post by Joel Wirāmu Pauling
Next year it is in Christchurch.
http://lca2019.linux.org.au/
21 to 25 January 2019, Christchurch, New Zealand.
According to the NZNOG last-full-week-of-January calendar that *would*
mean that LCA/NZNOG would clash again.
-=- cut here -=-
          M  T  W  T  F
2019 Jan 21 22 23 24 25
-=- cut here -=-
If NZNOG is thinking of changing dates, it'd be nice to avoid clashing
with an in-NZ conference that attracts an overlapping audience.
Ewen
Richard Nelson
2018-02-09 00:50:05 UTC
The week after would mean that the training/workshop clashes with
Auckland Anniversary day.  Of course, at the moment it clashes with
Wellington Anniversary day so it may be showing some region bias to care.

Richard
May be quite beneficial to have NZNog the week after, so those that
have travelled from AU the week before can stick around for another
week and attend NZNog
Could definitely work out.  I can think of at least a half dozen
Australia-nbased Linux.Conf.au regulars, who would probably come to
LCA2019 in Christchurch too, working in networks/network operations as
their day job.  There's probably more who would find it relevant if it
was easy to get to after Linux.Conf.au (Christchurch/Wellington is an
easy regular flight; not sure about Christchurch/New Plymouth or
Christchurch/Napier -- those might be two flights).
(The week before might work too, but some of the people I'm thinking
of usually help with LCA conference setup, which obviously is the end
of the week before the conference...)
Ewen
Bill

Daniel Griggs
2018-02-11 19:17:50 UTC
Hi,

If you want networking people to attend might be worth avoid PTC* dates as well.
I spoke with a couple of internationals that couldn't make it due to the clash this year.

*https://www.ptc.org/ptc19/

--
Daniel Griggs
Tarus BALOG
2018-02-15 15:55:17 UTC
Post by Joel Wirāmu Pauling
Please try and avoid linuxconf.au; I know there are a dozen or so peeps
that I talked with there that would have been at NZNOG (including
myself) had it not clashed.
Next year it is in Christchurch.
As someone who has to travel quite a way to come to New Zealand, it
would be really cool if NZNOG was either the week before or after LCA as
I could kill two birds with one stone.

-T
--
Tarus BALOG, Maintainer Main: +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc. Fax: +1 773 345 3645