NZNOG 2003
Donald Neal
2003-01-08 22:43:06 UTC
In July of last year I posted to this list asking people to express their preferences between one of two different formats for an NZNOG gathering for this year. As I described them then, the options were:

"1/ UniForum NZ

Roger De Salis has volunteered to act as convenor for next year's
UniForum NZ conference. In general terms, his intention is to stage a
conference similar in structure to this year's, though with Linux
content much more focussed toward a business audience, and in general a
stronger programme. NZNOG would be welcome to participate on more or
less the same basis as this year, though presumably making up a smaller
proportion of a larger conference. This would probably be at around the
same time of year and probably in Auckland.

2/ The University of Waikato

The University of Waikato have offered to host a NZNOG gathering, to be
held at their main campus in Hamilton. This would be a stand-alone
event, with the university providing administrative staff time for
registrations and the like. No decision has been made as to when this
would be. If held outside university terms, e.g. in February,
accommodation on campus would be available at a cost of approximately
$35 per night. There would be a cost for the venue, but this would be
well below the rate a hotel would charge.

The Hamilton option is likely to have a significantly lower cost. It is
possible that a university setting would discourage sponsors, who
provided a good number of overseas speakers this year. On the other
hand, the likely venue photographs well and we haven't asked them yet."

I received exactly one clear statement of a preference. A subsequent posting by Tony McGregor confirmed that he was confident that a gathering at The University of Waikato could keep its registration fee very low, possibly as low as zero.

I know that Roger De Salis has continued to work on content for a UniForum conference, and intends a Next-Generation Internet stream for that. I'd like now to hear back from people who would actually plan to attend one or other if it were offered a) whether they have a clear preference for one format or the other, and b) whether they're in a position to do any work towards making something happen. If you're making a general comment, by all means send it to the list, but please send statements of personal preference just to me.

I plan to summarise feedback more or less as I receive it.

- Donald Neal
Tim John
2003-01-08 23:33:14 UTC
Hi Donald,

I thoroughly enjoyed last years Uniforum and intend going to the next one,
regardless of venue and, hopefully, cost.

Although the raw talent from Kiwi speakers is high (as we found out last
year), I would still look forward to attending some presentations by our
international peers. If the Hamilton location puts a shadow on this, perhaps
the Auckland venue should be given more consideration.

Tim

[...]

"This communication, including any attachments, is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read
it - please contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not
copy or use any part of this communication or disclose
anything about it. Thank you."

DISCLAIMER: The content of this email is confidential and may contain
legally privileged information intended only for the individual or entity
named above. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you
are not the intended recipient, please be advised that the use, distribution
and publication of the above information is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please contact Domainz by returning the email and
destroying the original. Thank you.
-
To unsubscribe from nznog, send email to ***@list.waikato.ac.nz
where the body of your message reads:
unsubscribe nznog
Mark Foster
2003-01-08 23:40:58 UTC
I had intended this to go onto the list for discussion but missed the
reply-all button...
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:58:41 +1300
Subject: Re: NZNOG 2003
I for one liked Uniforum and NZNOG having their linked arrangement for the
last conference, theres a lot of crossover interest there and I see there
being some merit in being able to make the one trip and cover all bases,
as it were.
I also know that the NZ Open Source Society would most likely be quite
keen to have a presence at at least one of them as there are obviously
some crossovers there as well given the nature of OSS use among Network
Professionals...
I'm not sure what Roger has in mind for Uniforum this year but id
definately like to continue to see NZNOG and Uniforum work together in the
interests of a single, good value conference, as opposed to two smaller ones.
Post by Donald Neal
In July of last year I posted to this list asking people to express their
preferences between one of two different formats for an NZNOG gathering
*snipped*
-
unsubscribe nznog
Donald Neal
2003-01-09 02:46:36 UTC
Post by Mark Foster
I had intended this to go onto the list for discussion but missed the
reply-all button...
I'm not sure what Roger has in mind for Uniforum this year but
I'd definately like to continue to see NZNOG and Uniforum work
together in the interests of a single, good value conference,
as opposed to two smaller ones.
This is exactly what I had in mind, and IMHO, an individual smaller conference for Uniforum won't work. (This is my personal opinion!)

Since Donald has beaten me to the punch, my current thinking is I am trying to secure a speaker from the Seattle Gigapop, to talk about Internet 2 operations overseas. The conference was intended to maintain a very strong (or stronger) networking theme. I was about to send out a Call for Papers, and maybe this is an opportune time to ask if there are any speakers people would dearly like to see.

Another speaker I had in mind was a notable from Australia, to talk about their side of the ditch.

Practical stuff, I have an agreement for the Waipuna Lodge, on 10-11 and 12 July 2003, and it appears to me to be very similarly priced to the Centra last year, but it is quite a bit larger and offers opportunities for more flexibility with groups.

In conclusion, wot he said.

//shields on

Any comments, encouragement, opinions welcome

//shields off

Rgds Roger
Peter Mott
2003-01-09 03:41:32 UTC
Post by Donald Neal
In July of last year I posted to this list asking people to express
their preferences between one of two different formats for an NZNOG
2/ The University of Waikato
Personally I prefer above option. I want to stay away from domain name
registration and internet governance talkfests which we can now expect
to be a major thrust given the recent change of leadership in Uniforum.

Technical stuff + Beer = Good

regards
--
Peter Mott
Chief Enthusiast

"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something!"
Thomas A Edison

-
unsubscribe nznog
Dean Pemberton
2003-01-09 04:10:41 UTC
Yeah the beer was good - Your bartab and those pesky Waikato students
nearly did me in last year.

Something that I think would be worthwhile no matter which of the
options is decided upon, if who do you want to see speak.

And no I'm not putting my hand up to organise the speakers again, at
least not yet =)

Dean
unsubscribe nznog
Richard Stevenson
2003-01-09 07:15:40 UTC
Post by Peter Mott
Post by Donald Neal
In July of last year I posted to this list asking people to express
their preferences between one of two different formats for an NZNOG
2/ The University of Waikato
Personally I prefer above option.
Waikato works best for me, too, as I'm about to finish working at Xtra and
take up a position with a Hamilton-based firm (no more commuting!). Must
update my nznog subscription...

Cheers

Richard

-
unsubscribe nznog
Chris Hellberg
2003-01-09 03:43:05 UTC
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:43:06AM +1300, Donald Neal wrote:
<<Stuff about venues>>

I don't have a strong opinion either way on the two venues (as long as
there's beer and curry close-by), however I would prefer not to have
to pay for membership to a society that I'll never have any interest in.

That being said, I'm sure the cross-pollination on _technical_
discussions and presentations of the NZNOG and Uniforum type is good,
just keep the membership optional.

Checking the list of past NANOG presentations:

http://www.nanog.org/authors.html

Gives a great start for potentials at NZNOG 2003. Jeff
Doyle is a pretty well-known brand in networking who I'd like to see
this year.

Chris
-
unsubscribe nznog
Donald Neal
2003-01-09 19:45:32 UTC
Chris,

So far as I'm aware the income tax laws haven't changed in the past year, so UniForum membership is still likely to be a condition of the UniForum option. How the UniForum organisation is structured, and hence what the subscription is, was to be reviewed last year, though I've not heard of an outcome from that.

- Donald Neal
anything about it. Thank you."
Simon Lyall
2003-01-09 21:08:07 UTC
I was happy with having last years event as part of Uniforum. There was no
requirement for the NZNOG people to have much to do with the other streams
so I don't see it as a problem.

If being part of Uniforum means we are likely to get better sponsorship
and speakers then this is a reasonable trade off. Accomodation and
transport costs to Hamilton for most people are likely to outweigh any
savings in venue. (Note I'm not speaking for myself there since I can stay
for free in Hamilton with relatives).

The cost of the last event wasn't excessive especially since most people
attending either were paid by their employer or are on fairly good money.
Perhaps others could start putting aside $10 per week now which should
cover their admission in mid-year.

The Uniforum newsletter I got a week or two ago was even interesting.
--
Simon Lyall. | Newsmaster | Work: ***@ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin | Postmaster | Home: ***@darkmere.gen.nz

-
where the body of your message reads:
unsubscribe nznog
Juha Saarinen
2003-01-09 21:13:52 UTC
Accomodation and transport costs to Hamilton for most people are likely to
outweigh any savings in venue.
Hmmm... I have to point out that for us press-monkeys on peanut money, any
venue outside Auckland is going to be difficult.
--
Juha Saarinen
-
Tony Wicks
2003-01-09 21:43:23 UTC
Fyi, Today is my last day at TelstraClear, I'm moving down country to a less
stressful life without pagers and multi-gigabit routers ( but plenty of
tasty snapper ) . The primary TelstraClear wholesale network engineers will
now be Tim Harman and Matt Camp in Auckland with Mark Seward and Sid Jones
in wellington.

In the 6 years I've been in the ISP/Telco industry I have seen the New
Zealand Internet grow from 64k links and 14.4 modems to 2.5gigabit links and
broadband. The reliability and professionalism has also taken a quantum
leap, and I think it is important for everyone to stop occasionally and
appreciate how far we ( as an industry ) really come.

I can be contacted at "myfirstname"@"mylastname".co.nz

cheers all

Tony Wicks
Senior Network Engineer
TelstraClear New Zealand
+64 9 9125266

-
unsubscribe nznog
James Tyson
2003-01-09 22:52:45 UTC
Post by Tony Wicks
Fyi, Today is my last day at TelstraClear, I'm moving down country to a less
stressful life without pagers and multi-gigabit routers ( but plenty of
tasty snapper ) . The primary TelstraClear wholesale network engineers will
now be Tim Harman and Matt Camp in Auckland with Mark Seward and Sid Jones
in wellington.
It's interesting infact that this is happenning more and more. Now that
I am unemployed, and not having much luck with finding work I am
personally thinking of enrolling in university to finally make something
of myself (in the traditional sense) after dropping out of high school
to be a geek.
I know of at least one other engineer who is now attending university
and one other that is thinking of leaving his job to finish his degree.

I also know at least one person (other than Tony) who has moved "down
country" for the better life style (and dare I say cheaper housing
prices) offered by a rural setting.

I think we might have what you would call "a trend" taking place here.
Has the downturn finally affected the real geeks or is it simply the
tie-wearing corpo-drones with cisco qualifications pushing us out of the
industry that we created?
Is it really that slow in the market?

I'm interested your opinions.
Post by Tony Wicks
In the 6 years I've been in the ISP/Telco industry I have seen the New
Zealand Internet grow from 64k links and 14.4 modems to 2.5gigabit links and
broadband. The reliability and professionalism has also taken a quantum
leap, and I think it is important for everyone to stop occasionally and
appreciate how far we ( as an industry ) really come.
Indeed. It seems like a lot has happenned since we had to manually
reset hundreds of external modems on shelves every morning.
I do have to say that I am really proud of the network engineers in this
country because even as the industry becomes more and more corporate
oriented the personalities on this list and their cohorts have created a
very real feeling of friendship and camaraderie that has made this a
great industry to work in.
James Tyson <***@samizdat.co.nz>
David Mill
2003-01-10 00:25:57 UTC
Just out of interest, approximately how many people are inside Auckland, and
how many people work outside of Auckland (the rest of NZ)? I would imagine
it would be about 60% Auckland, but I might be wrong.

Dave
2003-01-10 01:55:59 UTC
I really don't think that I should be cluttering up the list with this.
Myself being an outside Aucklander I was just interested. If any one is
interested in an actual percentage rather than a guesstimate (which is what
I was really after) then feel free to drop me private mails with your
location. I'll then throw together some statistics.

Cheers,

Dave
unsubscribe nznog
Andy Linton
2003-01-10 02:49:05 UTC
Post by David Mill
I really don't think that I should be cluttering up the list with this.
Myself being an outside Aucklander I was just interested. If any one is
interested in an actual percentage rather than a guesstimate (which is what
I was really after) then feel free to drop me private mails with your
location. I'll then throw together some statistics.
I already spend lots of valuable time when I should be drinking beer
giving information to Statistics NZ and lo and behold they actually
publish some of the results on the web. (:-)

e.g.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/domino/external/web/Aboutsnz.nsf/htmldocs/Find+information+by+area

You do have to wonder why at least part of the site jumps off to
somewhere so remote that even the Aussies have no name for it:

http://www.nowwhere.com.au/scripts/hsrun.exe/srch/statsnz/MapXtreme.htx;start=HS_Map?

Now back to your normal programming (in all senses of the word)

-
unsubscribe nznog
Robert McDonald
2003-01-10 02:32:04 UTC
Post by James Tyson
Post by Tony Wicks
[...]
I hope there is stil a place in the industry for a geek like me. I'd love to
leave school straight into any kind of geek position. I am not one who likes
the business side of the IT industry. I just wanna play with cool stuff. -
Although the way it's going i'll be 5 years out of uni with a few certs as
well before i get employed in any position with responsibility. Oh well such
is life. What 16yo Dreams of upgrading his 486dialup router to a cisco with
gigibit fibre. Who's bedroom hums like the server room of a large ISP? -
without aircon! (probly because of the switch that howls and the CPU fans
that are old and broken), And who cares about maintaining 100% uptime on his
home lan?

:D

Cheers,
Rob
unsubscribe nznog
Lin Nah
2003-01-11 11:20:08 UTC
HI all

Attendees - the story.
Firstly there was a question about how many people who were out
of auckland and how many are within. David Mill, are you asking
about nznog attendees or people within the mailing list (who are
the target audience of nznog). I mention nznog attendees as most
of the time there was a core group who were active in the nznog
mailing list and attended the nznog streams.

There were groups of attendees. For example the U of Waikato
contingent was strong (10 - 15). They drove up to Auckland.
There were seemed like quite a few but perhaps it was their
larger than life (or high profile). After all without them
we'd have been without that wonderful wireless network. [1]

South Islanders were very few within nznog. IIRC they were from
Nelson, Queenstown (or thereabouts), Chch and Dunedin.
I am sure people are going to send me email saying they were left
out of the list etc. I am not trying too hard to recall everything.

In terms of companies people worked for the following industry
players were represented: Telecom, TelstraClear, Citylink, 2day.com,
Iconz, Intel, Erricsson, Allied Teltsyn, Esphion, Cisco

No one (that I can recall) from Auckland based ISPs like Orcon,
Attica/Callplus, Web Internet/Maxnet, Walker Wireless, Zip, Tangent
or Xtra. I am quite happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

No I am not trying to make people uncomfortable but I wonder if the
groups attending and those not attending tell a story in themselves.
It would be nice to hear from those who didn't make it the reasons
why they couldn't or decided not to attend.

What factors made you decide not to attend or were a barrier to your
attending? content of programme? Was it of no interest? Or too basic?
Or too advanced? Or did you have not enough information about it to
decide whether or not you were interested? date and time? location?
cost? work? (eg project coming due etc) Was it because it wasn't the
type of conference the decision maker would understand about? Was it
because it was in NZ? Don't laugh but I have had views expressed to
me often that some people don't think they can learn anything from a
conference in NZ and would happily pay thousands to go to a conference
overseas. This is prevalant both within academia and commercial sector.

Would you consider paying for yourself to attend if your employer
declined to cover the cost?

I think knowing these things would help the organisers of nznog
and/or uniforum. Perhaps if it was lack of information, someone
could get together with the nznog organiser and put together a
glossy flyer so you have something to show the manager when asking
for funding? What sort of info do you need in it to convince
the decision maker?

Would going to Waikato reduce the likelihood (ie the fact it was
on a lower budget scale and so didn't look as credible? The no
frills way is quite nice for people like me who end up paying for
myself to attend as I go for substance rather than rah rah rah and
gloss.[2] However it could affect how the decision makers decide
on whether to fund their staff going.

Waikato consideration
I actually quite like this option but I think one has to be realistic
about the costs and what is involved. While cost is very low in terms
of registrations, if certain things aren't included, they will still
be added costs (but just not seen upfront in the registration fee).

What I am trying to say is there were frills that we could have
easily done without (eg satchel, pen and paper) and yet others that
we couldn't.

Let's take meals as an example. In the Uniforum option, you know that
what you pay covers all meals. The Waikato option requires you to
factor in your own costs. However since you still have to eat and
that you are likely to be buying your food (whether directly or
indirectly).

Firstly for something as intense as NZNOG was, self catering for meals
doesn't seem practical (unless everyone brings their own packed sandwich
or filled roll in the morning). The discussions at lunch and other
breaks are often very useful. Self-catering means people will go out
to buy something from the fastfood place nearby, a possible queue at
the microwave (if there's one), etc. That may mean making it harder
to re-gather the group after a break. Anyway I think setting it up so
everyone eats together for lunch (ie catered meal or cafeteria) is a
practical option.

However the meal and other food costs doesn't have to be as expensive
as a hotel provided meal. So tea breaks could be easily catered for
by someone going to the supermarket before the conference starts each
day to pick out tea stuff (eg muffins, scones, pull apart breads etc)
and even bags of cookies and biscuits. electric kettle for hot water,
disposable cups, tea, coffee, sugar, milk and stirrers. The other
thing I would have is fresh fruit (apples, mandarins, bananas, etc).

You definitely need a watercooler or two. If it is one of those that
needs refilling(as opposed to the ones connected to a water supply) ,
then perhaps some refills too. There were many bottles of water at
the back of the nznog room last year. They were refilled often.
Having bottles(or jugs) of water were not ideal as the need to be
refilled more often. The bowl of mints were popular. Not hard to
provide.

What I am trying to say is if this is held in Waikato, you should
seriously consider providing the morning and afternoon teas and factor
it in as part of the cost. If the Uni cafeteria isn't open then I
also suggest looking at catering options. They don't have to be
expensive. Lunch at $10 per head is easily found. I am sure the cost
could be driven to down as low as $6 - 7 per head. It won't be
elaborate. Just edible and filling.

Suggestions for either Waikato or Waipuna
Conference website
I think we should consider asking all presenters to allow their
papers or presentations to be put online. That will negate the
need to worry about proceedings being printed (or CDs being
compiled and written). If organisers are worried that that would
detract people from attending because they will prefer to get
it online rather than attending the conference, then ways should
be found to overcome this problem.

Most conference proceedings can be purchased by non attendees for
a fraction of the price of the conference. That hasn't stopped people
from attending those conferences. Universities put their courseware
online still have students enrolled and paying fees (probably because
they want the qualifications).
What about having a site where logins can be issued to attendees and
people who purchase a login? Similar to a non attendee buying the
proceeding.

Obviously not all presenters will want their papers put online. For
example Paul Vixie came with a whole lot of presentations and did his
workshop based on what the audience wanted him to cover. He has
declined to have any of those presentations put on the CD. The CAIDA
presenter had something similar to his presentation on the caida
website (well it was where when I looked after the conference - not
looked at it recently).

Presentations not available:
In fact the organisers should find out before the conference who will
be giving their presentations to be put in the proceedings (book, CD
or website) and who won't. The ones not going to be in the proceedings
should be tagged as such in the programme so attendees know they'll
need to take notes rather than assume it will be available in the
proceedings.

Seating - I think we were a bit cramped in that room that the NZNOG
was in. Chairs were eventually spaced out a bit more.

Perhaps have a section for people who didn't have laptops as I know
one or two was annoyed about the tapping of keys on a laptop. It
wasn't that bad once the people were made aware of how loud their
key tapping was and the ones who were distracted by it moved to sit
elsewhere. That is easily engineered as the people with laptops
often need a power point when their batteries run low and so having
multi plug powerboards only in certain areas would solve the problem.

It would be ideal if there was a big fridge or vending machine where
we can get coke (diet or normal), V, and other popular drinks. That
is one thing both Centra and Waipuna will be lacking unless the
organisers organise this as well (don't forget that oasis is just
about across the road from Waipuna. Perhaps they can come to the
game). I am sure waikato uni will have heaps of vending machines
around. Like there's jukeboxes, portaloos etc for rental, there's
probably someone out there who installs vending machines at special
events. IIRC coke was either from the bar or restaurant at Centra
and people wanting V/Redbull/favourite non alcoholic softdrink of
the time etc had to walk to the shop next to where we had our
thursdaynightcurry meal (only a short walk if you knew the shop
existed)

regards
Lin

[1] I am not going to start listing all of those who donated
time and things to the conference. I am sure the conference
organisers would have thanked them for their help and pitching
in even at last minute (as is the case of the wireless network
and the packeteer)

[2] In fact I would very much rather avoid the conferences that are
very corporate, advertorial, and wishy washy. Lucky for them there's
people who are wililng to shell out thousands to go to those.

-
unsubscribe nznog
Lin Nah
2003-01-11 13:45:04 UTC
Ewen McNeill
2003-01-11 19:35:13 UTC
For example the U of Waikato contingent was strong (10 - 15). [...]
After all without them we'd have been without that wonderful wireless
network. [1]
I'd actually assumed that the wireless was provided by Citylink, what
with the wireless units reporting CafeNet, etc. In any event, it was
good to see a bunch of people from University of Waikato turn up, and
scheduling the conference for a university term break obviously helped.
What I am trying to say is there were frills
Simon Blake
2003-01-16 10:23:55 UTC
Evening all
The other issue is that unless we get Si his helper (yes there is a job
going), then I suspect you get me or Si, but not both.
As Richard so subtly alludes, Citylink is hiring, to replace some of
Jonny (who's bunked off on his OE) and some of me (who's moving to other
projects within Citylink). I prefer not to think of the new role as
Si's little helper, rather as a fully functional member of the tech team
at Citylink, but well, whatever works.

To keep it brief, I'm not going to quote a full job description of what
we're after (although rest assured, one does exist), yawl get to guess,
based on what you know of what Jonny and I did/do. I will observe a
couple of points though:

- it's a job in Wellington. There will be the odd trip to Auckland to
stare at Level 48, but otherwise, it's Wellington. No whining.

- willingness to do (occasional) outside plant work. That means a
drivers license, and an ability to cope with ladders/heights. Likewise,
the network in Wellington is constrained over a fairly small area, so be
emotionally prepared to walk places occasionally as part of your work.

- runumeration is flexible - we're a community network, with not a great
deal of cash to fling around, but we will pay to get the right person.

Other than that, it's a cool place to work, small team (15-20 people),
lots of variety and challenge, flexibility, yadayadayada.

CV's in *sane* formats to ***@citylink.co.nz by the end of next week
(Fri 24 2002). Please feel free to pass this on to whomever may be
interested.

Cheers
Si

-
unsubscribe nznog
Tony McGregor
2003-01-13 02:51:00 UTC
I'm sorry I haven't responded to any of the questions about the
Waikato venue earlier; I'm on holiday at the moment.

A lot of details would have to be confirmed but here's what I would
expect of a Waikato venue.

Location

A lecture room of appropriate size. Projector, OHP, mike etc. All
good quality gear. I'd expect we'd use 'S' block for those of you
who know the campus. We'd use the foyer for breaks etc.

Food

There is no problem providing lunch morning and afternoon tea,
constant coffee, even a fridge. There are vending machines nearby.
This is a registration cost issue. How much do you want to bundle
in there?

I'd imagine we'd setup an optional conference dinner either at a
nearby restaurant or at the restaurant and bar on campus.

Network

There is good connectivity to any room we'd be in. (6-8Mbps to off
campus). Usage charges are a bit of an issue. I'd be billed about
10c/Mb. The 2-3Gb mentioned for the last conference is no problem,
but we'd need sponsorship to do streaming video. We (the WAND group)
are currently looking to buy some bandwidth so this issue may well be
gone by the time the conference occurs.

We didn't actually provide wireless to the last conference, but did
come equipped to do so, just because we wanted it ourselves. We
would certainly provide wireless in the conference room and foyer.
That too is a no brainer. We have (for another conference) provided
wireless to the on campus restaurant and bar and could probably do
that again if they were used.

Network access to accommodation depends. I believe some of the
on-campus accommodation rooms have LAN ports. We could probably do
wireless to others. It might be possible for us do an ad hoc
wireless link to a nearby motel but that's not a given.

Web vs Attendance

Because we don't have a very high one off cost I don't think this is
an issue.
Tony McGregor
2003-01-13 02:56:41 UTC
Post by Lin Nah
Would going to Waikato reduce the likelihood (ie the fact it was
on a lower budget scale and so didn't look as credible?
Well we could always have a corporately credible registration option ;)

Tony McGregor Mail: ***@cs.waikato.ac.nz
Department of Computer Science Phone: +64 7 838 4651
Waikato University Fax: +64 7 858 5095
Private Bag 3105 Home: +64 7 825 5040 mobile: (021)313004
Hamilton, New Zealand www: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~tonym
Tony McGregor
2003-01-13 02:58:59 UTC
Post by Lin Nah
Waikato Uni = student campus. There must be at least one student pub
on campus.
Actually the main student pub (The Hillcrest a.k.a. H block) is just
off campus. There is a bar on campus.

-
unsubscribe nznog
Tony McGregor
2003-01-13 03:07:48 UTC
At NANOG meetings the presentation slides are up on the web site before
the conference starts, usually in some browsable form as well as native
format (PDF, powerpoint).
This is cool, but in my experiance the sticking point is getting the
persenters material in time. This isn't one of those conferences
where we can hold the threat of not being allowed to speak if you
don't get the presentation in on time.
Naturally, any plans involving video will require someone to actually
record the sessions in the first place :)
We do have a professional unit that does that at Waikato. They will
cost a bit though. If people want, I can follwo up. The difference a
profesional makes here is huge.

Tony

-
unsubscribe nznog
Ewen McNeill
2003-07-08 02:07:03 UTC
[Mark's netsite changes list]
I got asked on 1 July by Nick Griffin to not publish the changes list until
some review I wasn't aware of that is apparently currently happening was
completed.
Perhaps the DNC should explain to us why there is a problem with
Mark's excellent netsites page.
The explanation I was given was that apparently some spammers had been
trawling through the list of new domains to figure out what to look up to
pick up a new collection of registrar/registrant/admin/technical contact
addresses to spam. Apparently at least one spammer actually claimed to
have used Mark's changes list as a source, which is presumably why the
interium action was to ask for it to be taken down.

As Steven Heath noted, there is a mention in the June Registrar
newsletter; and it will be in the minutes from the June NZOC meeting
which should be up RSN I'm told (apparently they were overlooked for
a while in amongst everything else going on and now just need to be
reviewed by NZOC for accuracy).

And there should be some sort of call-for-comments coming out relatively
soon (sometime in July?).
Is it doing any harm or is it because it isn't published by DNC and so
not sanctioned?
Actually as I remember it Mark's site was one of the few that made it
onto the original blessed list of those who could still do zone
transfers when restrictions were put in place (a couple of years back).

AFAICT it's merely the "source of addresses for spam" problem which
makes it an issue, rather than "not run by the DNC".

Ewen
Bruce Fitzsimons
2003-07-09 02:19:52 UTC
On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 14:07, Ewen McNeill wrote:

<lots snipped, and many other good posts considered>
Post by Ewen McNeill
Is it doing any harm or is it because it isn't published by DNC and so
not sanctioned?
Actually as I remember it Mark's site was one of the few that made it
onto the original blessed list of those who could still do zone
transfers when restrictions were put in place (a couple of years back).
AFAICT it's merely the "source of addresses for spam" problem which
makes it an issue, rather than "not run by the DNC".
Ewen
Thanks everyone. In retrospect I could/should have mailed the owner of
the page first. I've never sure how to handle that, as I can't then make
our private discussions public easily (etiquette requires asking, and
careful editing I guess).

Lots of useful information anyway. Thanks to Mark for his ongoing
commitment to this useful resource. I hope the issues get resolved soon
- if its just the email addresses, I'm sure the script could munge them.

/Bruce
Bruce Fitzsimons <***@fitzsimons.org>
Ewen McNeill
2005-06-20 09:21:12 UTC