[nznog] Inspire Net name servers
Mark Seward
2005-11-04 05:05:02 UTC
ns1.inspire.net.nz (203.114.128.1), and
ns2.inspire.net.nz (203.114.128.2)

now accept recursive and cached queries from Inspire Net customers only.

Queries for domains that ns1 and ns2 are authoritative for are unaffected.

Mark Seward
Inspire Net Ltd.
Drew Broadley
2005-11-04 06:13:17 UTC
Post by Mark Seward
ns1.inspire.net.nz (203.114.128.1), and
ns2.inspire.net.nz (203.114.128.2)
now accept recursive and cached queries from Inspire Net customers only.
Queries for domains that ns1 and ns2 are authoritative for are unaffected.
Mark Seward
Inspire Net Ltd.
This wouldn't have anything to do with the constant intermittent outages
this morning people on ADSL via inspire were having ? :)

- Drew
Barry Murphy
2005-11-04 06:18:44 UTC
And everyone follows suit (not only inspire, but I hear telstra clear's also
doing it), what's the point!

ISP's worried a little DNS traffic is costing them money, maybe hardware
doesn't cope; well it has in the past! What's this country coming to, first
de-peering, now dns restrictions, it would appear the internet for NZ is
getting worse and worse as the years go on!

Barry

Barry Murphy
2005-11-04 06:24:45 UTC
I take that back, i've just found out why!
Sorry for my previous post.

Barry

2005-11-04 06:25:00 UTC
Hear hear Barry!

Telecom have gone and started something here. De-peering is definitely
worse than being anal about your DNS, but I think it stinks. The Internet
in NZ has lost a lot of it's former free love. :P Us down here in
Christchurch pay an almighty sum to a handful of providers to get bandwidth
down here, and we don't put these kinds of restrictions in place. In
Auckland where bandwidth flows like water, they really must be desperate to
save some traffic and hardware costs.

I guess the customers don't see the backhanded business that goes on in the
technical world, so nobody is loosing face over it. Perhaps Juha could
write it up. ;)

Erin

Erin Salmon
Managing Director
Unleash Networks Ltd
Mobile: 021 877 913
Landline: 03 365 1273
www.unleash.co.nz

Drew Broadley
2005-11-04 06:26:51 UTC
Post by Erin Salmon - Unleash Computers Ltd
Hear hear Barry!
Telecom have gone and started something here. De-peering is definitely
worse than being anal about your DNS, but I think it stinks. The Internet
in NZ has lost a lot of it's former free love. :P Us down here in
Christchurch pay an almighty sum to a handful of providers to get bandwidth
down here, and we don't put these kinds of restrictions in place. In
Auckland where bandwidth flows like water, they really must be desperate to
save some traffic and hardware costs.
I guess the customers don't see the backhanded business that goes on in the
technical world, so nobody is loosing face over it. Perhaps Juha could
write it up. ;)
Sounds like of micromanagement to me.

- Drew
Juha Saarinen
2005-11-04 06:37:27 UTC
Post by Erin Salmon - Unleash Computers Ltd
Hear hear Barry!
Telecom have gone and started something here. De-peering is definitely
worse than being anal about your DNS, but I think it stinks. The Internet
in NZ has lost a lot of it's former free love. :P Us down here in
Christchurch pay an almighty sum to a handful of providers to get bandwidth
down here, and we don't put these kinds of restrictions in place. In
Auckland where bandwidth flows like water, they really must be desperate to
save some traffic and hardware costs.
In Auckland were bandwidth flows... like what?
Post by Erin Salmon - Unleash Computers Ltd
I guess the customers don't see the backhanded business that goes on in the
technical world, so nobody is loosing face over it. Perhaps Juha could
write it up. ;)
No no no... I don't think it'll matter much in the long run.

This might have had some bearing on Inspire's decision:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/24/dns_security_survey/
Juha
Rob Thomas
2005-11-04 06:38:42 UTC
Hi, team.

] http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/24/dns_security_survey/

Might I also suggest:

<http://www.dyndns.com/about/company/notify/archives/the_dangers_of_open_recursive_dns.html>

Thanks,
Rob.
--
Rob Thomas
Team Cymru
ASSERT(coffee != empty);
Matthew Luckie
2005-11-04 07:36:00 UTC
here are a few more interesting Internet security-related papers, first one
being on DNS:

Perils of Transitive Trust in the Domain Name System
Venugopalan Ramasubramanian and Emin Gun Sirer
http://www.imconf.net/imc-2005/papers/imc05efiles/ramasubramanian/ramasubramanian.pdf

Exploiting Underlying Structure for Detailed Reconstruction of an
Internet-scale Event
Abhishek Kumar, Vern Paxson and Nicholas Weaver
http://www.imconf.net/imc-2005/papers/imc05efiles/kumar/kumar.pdf

Building a Time Machine for Efficient Recording and Retrieval of
High-Volume Network Traffic
Stefan Kornexl, Vern Paxson, Holger Dreger, Anja Feldmann, and Robin Sommer
http://www.imconf.net/imc-2005/papers/imc05efiles/kornexl/kornexl.pdf

Flooding Attacks by Exploiting Persistent Forwarding Loops
Jianhong Xia, Lixin Gao, and Teng Fei
http://www.imconf.net/imc-2005/papers/imc05efiles/xia/xia.pdf

More papers from same conference at:

http://www.imconf.net/imc-2005/papers/program.html

Erin Salmon - Unleash Computers Ltd
2005-11-04 06:40:43 UTC
That does appear to be the reason. Barry forwarded me a doco explaining why
Telstra has done it. Ah well, I guess it'll be the same worldwide in a few
days.

:)

Erin Salmon
Managing Director
Unleash Computers Ltd
Mobile: 021 877 913
Landline: 03 365 1273
www.unleash.co.nz

Juha
Simon Allard
2005-11-04 07:00:32 UTC
Rob is correct (as always, Hi Rob!)

There has been a plee on the ISP jungle drum network, to limit recursive
DNS servers to protect the internet from evil doers.

IHUG will be following very shortly, will post on here and give some
notice before limiting the use of 203.109.252.42/43.

Cheers,
Simon Allard
IHUG
Post by Erin Salmon - Unleash Computers Ltd
ecursive_dns.html>
Thanks,
Rob.
--